‘I like a story to be authentic, and no story can be told better than by the person who lived it’ – Magali Pettier, Director of Addicted to Sheep, a farmer’s daughter who is now a film-maker.
**** David Parkinson, Empire: “This intimate, but unflinching account of the travails of a North Pennine farming family captures the beauty of the changing seasons, while deftly conveying the graft involved in rearing sheep and cattle and the grimier realities of the rural economy“.
Film Review by Emmy Award-winning Director Patrick Collerton who made The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off:
“This is a beautiful, timeless, unhurried, affectionate film. Magali has a painterly eye and instinct for the poetic in her depiction of a North Eastern farming family through the seasons”.
Louise Osmond, Director of Documentary ‘Dark Horse’ which won the Audience Award at Sundance Film Festival said:
“I just loved it. Beautifully observed, warm, gently funny, it was up there with my two all time favourites – Quattro Volte and Modern Life”.
In February 2017, Addicted to Sheep was shortlisted for the Royal Television Society North East and The Border Award 2016 in the Best Broadcast Factual Production. Our Editor Matthew Dennis also received a commendation in the Editor Category.
In February 2016, Addicted to Sheep won the Royal Television Society North East and The Border Award 2015 in the Non Broadcast Factual Production.
In October 2015, The Hutchinsons and Director/Producer Magali Pettier jointly received the Farmers Weekly Farming Champion of The Year 2015 Award sponsored by NFU (National Farmers Union).
In June 2015, Magali Pettier, Director/Producer of Addicted to Sheep was nominated for The Journal Culture Awards 2014 in the ‘Newcomer’ category for Addicted to Sheep
In June 2015, Addicted to Sheep was nominated for the Sheffield Doc/Fest Environmental Award 2015.
Broadcasts of 60 min TV Version
- Feb 8 2016 at 9.00pm and Feb 9 at 11.00pm – BBC4 – UK
- May 18 2016 at 8.00pm and May 19 at 1.45am- BBC4 – UK
- Sept 26 2016 at 8.00pm and Sept 27 at 1.25am – BBC4 – UK
- October 8 2017 at 9.00pm and October 9 at 1.00am – BBC4 – UK
Where we have been featured
Living North – Andrew Hankinson interviews Director Magali Pettier – Read full article here (was also available in print)
Radio Times – Brian Viner interviews The Hutchinsons – View double page spread here
“North East film Addicted to Sheep has earned a television screening”, The Chronicle – David Whetstone Read full article here
BBC Countryfile – The Hutchinson and Director Magali Pettier speak to Matt Baker (First broadcast on January 31 2016 at 7.00pm)
RTÉ Radio 1 Countrywide – Darmuid McIntyre attend the first screening of Addicted to Sheep in Listowel in The Republic of Ireland: Listen to interview here
Yorkshire Times- Addicted to Sheep wins National Award: Read the article here
Farmers Weekly – Tom & Kay Hutchinson and Director Magali Pettier won Famers Weekly Farming Champion of The Year 2015 sponsored by NFU. Read Full Article here
Radio Teesdale – Director Magali Pettier speaks to Peter Dixon: Listen to the interview
BBC Loose Ends – Nikki Bedi sits in for Clive Anderson joined by Carol Morley, Gilbert O’Sullivan, Jon Holmes, Magali Pettier, Musician SOAK and Scottee. (Edited Version, listen to Magali Pettier at 2min23): Listen to the interview
BBC Radio Newcastle – Magali Pettier speaks to Ingrid Hageman: Listen to the interview
The Journal – **** Review by David Whetstone: Read the review
The Northern Echo: Read the article
BBC Cumbria – Presented by Gordon Swindlehurst: Listen to the interview (46 min in-No longer available)
Radio Teesdale – Presented by Ewan Allinson: Listen to the interview
The Journal: Read the article
The Newcastle Journal Culture Magazine: Read the article
BBC Radio 4 – Farming Today – Presented by Charlotte Wilson: Listen to the interview (This 6 minutes interview is extracted from the 15 minutes programme)
What people have been saying
‘Addicted to Sheep is a sensitive and spellbinding portrayal of the day to day world of an ordinary farming family and their exceptional way of life. The footage tells a remarkable story that for most people will be utterly surprising and beyond their knowledge and experience’. – Lucy Jenkins, Upper Teesdale Agricultural Support Services
‘We are delighted to give whole-hearted support to Addicted to Sheep. We feel sure that this film will help everyone who sees it appreciate the spectacular beauty of our landscape, and, equally important, how resourceful are the people who make a living here. The commitment of the film team to producing the most heartfelt and authentic documentary, their professionalism in all they are doing, coupled with their sympathy for and understanding of the tenant hill-farmer shines through and is a privilege to see.’– Ian Forbes MBE, Chairman, Friends of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and European Geopark
‘Addicted to Sheep has the potential to show people the difficulties the upland farmers face, both with the rugged terrain they farm, and also the economic hardships. I fully support the project and feel that when the film is completed, it will tell a great story which will raise the profile of sheep-farming in Teesdale and other areas.’ – Helen Goodman MP Shadow Minister for Culture, Media and Sport (whose constituency includes Upper Teesdale)
The Story So Far – Our recent Newsletters
- July 19 2017: Addicted to Sheep: Some good news but also some sad news.
- February 16 2017: Addicted to Sheep: Now Available to Download Online!
- Nov 3 2016: Addicted to Sheep: it’s all happening!
- April 27 2016: Addicted to Sheep premieres in France
- March 15 2016: North American Premiere of Addicted to Sheep!
- January 28 2016: BBC adapts Addicted to Sheep!
- January 15 2016: DVD of Addicted to Sheep is now released!
- December 11 2015: Addicted to Sheep: UK Cinema Tour Hit!
- October 8 2015: Addicted to Sheep: UK Cinema Tour Hit!
- August 17 2015: Addicted to Sheep: In UK Cinemas from 28 August 2015!
- July 15 2015: Addicted to Sheep: A hit at Sheffield Doc/Fest!
- May 7 2015: World Premiere at Sheffield Doc Fest
- March 10 2015: Updates following Addicted to Sheep First Cinema Preview & what happens next?
- Jan 29 2015: We invite you to be among the first to view our brand new trailer!
- Dec 12 2014: Thanks for your support this year!
- October 7 2014: We have done it thanks to you!
- June 24 2014: Addicted to Sheep: We are nearly there!
- May 19 2014: Week 1 – Tales from the Edit
- April 23 2014: One Week To Go! A little update from our crowdfunding campaign
- April 9 2014: We invite you to be part of something special
- February 26 2014: Great things are Happening
- December 14 2013: Christmas Editing
- October 13 2013: Our First Newsletter